In January 1942 the Minnesota Historical Records Survey published a history of the state's judicial districts. It was divided into three sections:
First, a history of the boundary changes of each judicial district. Here are the names of the counties that first formed a district, later additions and detachments, each with citations to session laws or general statutes.
Second, a table listing the counties that comprised each judicial district since the territory was formed in 1849. For example, on March 7, 1870, the Ninth Judicial District was composed of Big Stone, Brown, Chippewa, Nicollet, Redwood and Renville Counties. Districts were constantly being realigned.
Third, a table listing each county and the judicial districts in which it was placed since Minnesota Territory was formed in 1849. For example, McLeod County has, at various times, been assigned to the Third, Sixth, Fourth and Eighth Judicial Districts.
In the Appendix are lists of the dates each county was established, the names of judges who served in a district, some official documents and a bibliography.
Part 1, which is posted here, has Sections One and Two, described above (pages 1-45). Part 2 has Section 3 and the Appendix (pages 46-86) and is posted separately.