Viewing Douglas A. Hedin, "Commissioners of Deeds for Minnesota, 1851-1973."
The offices of commissioner of deeds and its sibling, notary public, were established by the Territorial Legislative Assembly in 1851, and preserved in the state constitution adopted in October 1857. During the decades that followed, notaries thrived while commissioners of deeds declined until only a few still served in the early 1900s. They were finally abolished by statute in 1973. Both offices, however, remain embedded in the constitution today.